Monday, September 8, 2008

Blast from the Past repost #8: Dodecahedron ornament

At one time I liked to do somewhat elaborate personal Christmas cards, especially ones which included some kind of design which required construction. This is one of those, done in 1985. When carefully cut out, folded, and assembled, it forms a dodecahedron (twelve-sided solid) which can be hung as an ornament on a Christmas tree AND used as a desk calendar (only for the year 1986, unfortunately... although I suppose that eventually we will have a year with matching dates... I just don't know when that will be). What fun! I designed this one and drew all of the little seasonal Turtle illustrations.






Below is the instruction sheet for assembly of the dodecahedron TMNT calendar/ornament, penciled, inked, and hand-lettered (yuck!) by me. If I were to do something like this today, it would be a lot easier -- and the lettering would look much better -- using my computer. This particular design was done back in the days of physical "paste up" -- in fact, in some places you can see the shadow lines created in the photocopying process. -- PL

10 comments:

  1. -->> again.. nice big scan than on P.R. version.



    .. think i'll go ahead and try to make this one ..

    so are you REALLY going to make a new Dodecahedron then ?? >v<

    ReplyDelete
  2. -->> KILLER .. you can see all the little ' Month ' details like the Turtle peeking out of the frosty window and the Hungry Turkey turtle !!
    This was NEVER published ?!

    >v<

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I made a dodecahedron Christmas ornament once, with the 12 days of Christmas on it. Always fun! When the season rolls around again, I'll make this one too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wah, this actually matched to this year! I think I'm doin it later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. According to this site this calendar can be used again in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! What a cool idea!

    I will never forget what a Dodecahedron is! I played the Dodecahedron in the musical "The Phantom Tollbooth" last year at the Shea in Turners falls with this huge 12 sides headpiece with my picture on 11 faces, and my real face sticking out the 12th. Wasn't anywhere near as cool as this one though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Sarah The Anime Librarian said...

    This is awesome! What a cool idea!

    I will never forget what a Dodecahedron is! I played the Dodecahedron in the musical "The Phantom Tollbooth" last year at the Shea in Turners falls with this huge 12 sides headpiece with my picture on 11 faces, and my real face sticking out the 12th. Wasn't anywhere near as cool as this one though. LOL"

    Sarah, is there photographic evidence of your transformation into this elegant geometric solid? Share, please! -- PL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, is there photographic evidence of your transformation into this elegant geometric solid? Share, please!


    You know, I believe my friend Amy has some photo's...let me get back to you on that! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, those are great! Thanks for sharing! -- PL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course I'm going to make one! BYW, the play pics are awesome.

    ReplyDelete