Thursday, May 28, 2009

Blast from the Past #182: Jim Lawson "Samurai Turtle"

Jim drew this pinup back in 1987, depicting a Turtle in samurai-style gear. It's interesting to compare and contrast this drawing to the more recent "samurai Turtle" art from the "Tales of Leo" issues of "Tales of the TMNT". -- PL


  1. Hmm... reminds me of Usagi Yojimbo.

  2. Jim, maybe you should draw an updated version to show how far your technique has come since then.

    Personally, I think this is cute :)

  3. -->> Spare the drama !!
    He's make a wonderful Playmates fig.
    Heck when was the last Lawson inspired toy produced.

    Best i can figure it was the Planet Racers Bike and Nano. anything beyond that i am not sure. Yeh Dan is right, update this so a toy can be made.

  4. Funny thing, today i was reading Tales of Leo!

  5. *Glomps jim*
    This stuff is awesome, I love seeing this great past work.
    Even if it was a pin-up in one of the old comics. ;)

    So if you don't mind my asking Jim why don't you like your past work?
    -Vaughn M.

  6. I don't know...I've always had issues looking back at my early stuff- material from around the time of the first Tales series. The Turtle's heads seem too squished and the bodies, arms, ankles, feet, fingers all had this sorta bloated look....

  7. -->> Similar to effect of ' Bade Biker ' ??

  8. Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

    Usagi-san better watch out for THIS Leo!

  9. When I was a kid I think I copied this drawing about 5 times. I learned a lot! This is one of my favorites of Jim's.

    On another note, Peter, I don't know if this is old news to you but there was a documentary made about a someone crossing the US on a Segway:

  10. I can see what you're saying Jim, but I think this is a rather good peice anyway. Its very stylized and there's something about the detail of the necklace I like very much.